Monday, August 2, 2010

Why industrial design?


Working with my hands has always been a great passion of mine whether I’m tiling a bathroom or carving wooden animals i always thought I’d be the maker not the designer, it only came to me that i wouldn’t contribute anything new to the world of construction had i solely kept working with my hands, there have been many great craftsmen in all fields construction but none gain recognition as designers.

When choosing whether to do wood works for my major project or design and technology, instead of eliminating one from my list i did both to somewhat test both subjects to find my favourite and by the end of yr 12 i had my mind set on how influential designers can be not only on how people react with new innovative products but they can become inspiration for future creations.
My choice between maker and designer was becoming clearer, but then i couldn’t find a reason why i couldn’t be both, i didn’t want to neglect my skills in crafting projects and i certainly didn’t want to stop thinking of new ways or new looks for things guess when i really thought about it came down to if i wanted to leave a legacy that would have a shelf life in people’s homes or in certain poeple’ minds and ideas, which is more sought after? 
when i was choosing where to begin my road of developing these products i conducted a vast amount of research into where i would get the best head start for my career and the final push that drew me into UNSW was a DT excursion to the Powerhouse Museum in year 11 where a student from UNSW studying industrial design spoke about his time at the course, this proved to be very influential in my decision to study at UNSW because I never got the chance to speak with students.
I have always been the sort of person to make things for others to evoke a certain feeling, such remembrance and joy, i like to think that the creations i will envision in the future can make you feel a certain way. For me, to produce things that make people feel important or happy would be my ultimate goal.
My future in design would hopefully steer me towards the design of products where the consumer would have maximum interaction, before developing sentimental attachments to the products. In comparison to other designers I believe I would try to be in a world of my own, being the influence for me is more powerful than being influenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment